Form di ricerca

Incoming non EU students/researchers mobility

Are you a Non EU citizen and do you want to study/carry out a research in Italy?

If you wish to come to Italy to study or to carry out a research project, you have to complete a few formalities to organize your stay in and travel to Italy.


Entry Visa

If you want to come to Italy, you are required to apply for a visa, whose application can be made at the Italian Diplomatic and Consular Authorities in your country of residence. The documentation needed for the application depends on the purpose and length of your stay. Furthermore, you will be asked to provide proof of the availability of economic means, travel and accommodation arrangements. Visas can be short-term (less than 90 days - Type C) or long-term (for more than 90 days - Type D). In order to find out whether you need an entry visa or not you can simply use the database of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You will be asked to enter your nationality, country of residence, length and reason of your stay.     

Residence permit

If you are a Non EU citizen and you intend to stay in Italy for study and/or work for more than 90 days, you must apply for a permit of stay in order to legally stay in Italy with the visa issued by the Italian Consulate/Embassy in your country of origin.Extra Ue citizens must apply for the permit of stay WITHIN 8 DAYS after arrival in Italy. The permit is issued by the local police headquarter (Questura) and enables you to temporarily live in Italy.For more information, please click on the following link:

Visa and permit of stay for scientific research purposes

Researchers coming from Non EU countries are allowed to stay in a EU Member State for more than 3 months to carry out research by getting a visa for scientific research purposes.

The researcher has to be selected by either private or public research institutions  acknowledged in an official list set up by the Ministry for University and Research (MIUR) and available by clicking on this website:                        

In order to obtain a visa for scientific research, the researcher has to reach an hosting agreement (Convenzione di accoglienza) with a selected research body. The hosting agreement specifies the working conditions offered to the researcher, such as length and type of contract (grant for research, subordinate, self-employment), the monthly salary (which cannot be less than the Italian social allowance), the health insurance coverage for the researcher and his/her family members, the commitment by the research institution to cover the expenses. Once in Italy, the researcher has to apply for a permit of stay for scientific purposes to Questura.


In order to issue an entry visa in Italy, Italian embassy/Consulate in Third countries requires before departure to Italy a health care insurance that covers in case of sickness, accident and pregnancy. The applicant can: purchase a private health insurance valid in Italy before leaving; oluntary registration in case of visa for study with the Italian national health service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale or SSN), which allows to choose a doctor (general practitioner), who will deal with health problems free of charge, and prescribe medicines, tests and specialist examinations Registration is valid for one calendar year. The registration is compulsory in case of work contract; private health insurance policy for the entire duration of stay in Italy or National Health Insurance is valid also in Italy.For more information about SSN registration, please click on the following link


The tax code (codice fiscale) is an identification code issued by the Ministry of Finance which is required in order to open a bank account or sign contracts. Non-resident individuals can apply for it to the Italian consular authorities in the country of residence. In Italy it can be requested to the local “Agenzia delle Entrate” (Tax office). For more information, please click on the following link